Andy

Andy

Monday, August 15, 2011

8/13/11, Saturday, and a lovely Saturday it is!

8/13/11 Okay, so I slept like a baby.  Until 4:30 AM.  Then I was up.  Couldn't sleep.  But it didn't matter.  I was reading and watching those crazy fishermen.  I think they know something we don't know...  about destressing.

We left Frankfort at 9:00.  Anchor up out of the mud.  Skies still overcast, with snippets of sun.  70 degrees, waves 2 to 4, wind 15K out of the NE.  Another motoring day.  Passed the Point Betsie Light at 9:44, south end of South Manitou Island (where we've anchored multiple times and love it) at 11:48, the Manitou Shoal Light at 1:00, and at 2:30 arrived at Leland Harbor.  We have never been to Leland Harbor, and I am so glad we had the opportunity to see it.  What a cute little fishing town!  They had a slip for us and we didn't have to raft up behind boats like some people did.  The marina is brand spanking new, with floating docks, and a lovely main building.

After I cooked dinner I went out walking and spent a good amount of time on the beach.  Just sitting, watching the water.  And the seagulls.  Have you even seen seagulls walking the beach looking for goodies?  The first one I saw seemed to be a loner.  On his own, his little speckled body moving down the beach, head down.  The first thing I realized is that birds have backwards knees.  I named this bird "Knobby Knees."  Why I had never noticed that birds have backwards knees before, I don't know.

Then the rest of the seagulls came walking by, several minutes later.  Knobby Knees seemed to be an overachiever, and was about ¼ mile ahead of the rest of the game.  I love how they all stopped on their way by, just for a second, turned their little head like birds do, and looked at me first from one eye, and then the other.  I said “hi” to each one, and they moved along.  They had work to do and needed to be on their way.

It got pretty cold sitting there on the beach, so I went back to the boat, did the dishes, and got ready for bed.  The sunset was spectacular, but no pictures because I didn’t feel like running out to the street in my PJ’s.  Dave and Andy went into town to get coffee and Andy got “the best ice cream that he’d ever had in his life.”  There must be something with the northern air that makes you feel that way about things up here.

No comments: